Tuesday, March 21, 2006

 

Hey Mr. Boss Man!

DO YOU BELIEVE IN BOSSES?

I don’t know if I have a problem with authority but I do know that I have never recognized the power of the Boss and have never considered anyone my Boss and I have never used the term “The Powers That Be.”

“Be careful the Boss is in a bad mood” in my work history has always elicited this response: ”Fuck The Boss!” No one gets to take out their personal problems on a subordinate although I don’t believe in them either.

I spent 35 years in front of a classroom and never used the word Boss. Sociologist Max Weber, in addition to discovered the best grill ever, said that all power is usurped and that the absence of power is force. Watch out here comes the boring, explaining it to morons part.

In other words, a teacher controls a classroom because the students allow him and if they decide not to play by the rules there’s not much you can do besides commencing to kill as many students as possible before they get you which they never will because an adult in a murderous frenzy will send them all sprinting in the other direction. None of them will stay back to help their friends. So I just always told them, ”Unless you have a weapon I am in charge and I must tell you that I like fighting and enjoy getting hit and if you feel the same way then please commence to attack me anytime and if you win I will not “write you up.” I actually usurped their power through humor and respect and never “writing up” which I always called “tag and release.”

I do respect earned position and I have no interest being the one in charge. In education there is little “earned position” it’s “mostly” ambitions individuals armed with meaningless credits and portfolios along with a pretty nice wardrobe.

That’s why I’m more suited to the “performance based” newspaper business. In all my years writing a cutting edge column my ultimate editor Dennis only pulled the plug once.

“Your reference to the Afro American young man not taking over the family funeral business because of the stiff competition I removed because although I thought it was funny I’m just afraid that the black community is pretty religious and sensitive about issues like death.”

That may be and in deference to all my Afro friends on my mailing list this actually did happen some years ago. I called a funeral home too early in the morning to check on the “lay-out” arrangements of a young man accidentally killed the previous night. The annoyed response to my early morning mourning query,”I don’t know, I just picked the mother fucker up last night.”
Now it’s possible the young man who was the subject of the never published joke actually answered the phone and recognized my voice and threw his own joke back at me. I could write I hope that’s what happened but in reality either way it’s funny. A good thing I didn’t tell his Boss.

Peace Freddogg

Comments:
Hey Fredman, keep up the good work. You help me stay connected to home.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?