Thursday, April 27, 2006

 

Creepiness of Sleepiness


Let’s contemplate the creepiness of sleepiness. One of life’s cruel jokes is the less you have to do the longer you are given to do it.
I am currently operating on about four hours sleep a day but at least my mind is always racing. I refuse to take any medication that intercedes in this process and, in fact, I’ve turned insomnia into a sort of sport like I when I win the Olympics in every event or run for touchdown or become the first person to swim across the Atlantic Ocean or whatever else I want to do.
Most sleeplessness (what a weird word) is rooted in the anticipation of how it will affect wakefulness but if you don’t give a dam then what does it matter?
Author Dan Jenkins said, ”When I was a younger man I used to fall asleep every night thinking about pussy. Now I think about killing people.” That’s a great old guy quote and I’ll let each old guy contemplate it for four hours or until his medication wears off.
Now if you are creative and always thinking like me you not only have a better chance of being afflicted by exotic and hilarious mental illnesses but your dream state will be incredibly weird especially if you kick it off my consuming and an entire Sam’s Club pepperoni before falling into REM cycled sleep.
I sometimes wake up and shout, ”Holy Shit Am I Strange!”
My son took a Saturday morning five hour Psych Class at the prestigious and academically elitist Wilmington College and when they got to the section on dreams the teacher asked the entire class to bring pillows and to sleep for the first two hours then share dreams with each other. I believe the bitch cable knitted a sweater for her fat dachshund over three Saturdays.
Got a dream theme, recurrent night terrors or appropriate fantasies? I’ll be glad to analyze them for you being as I’m riveted in attention 20 hours a day. I’d welcome a dose of A.D.D.

Peace Dr. Freddogg

Comments:
My recurrent nightmare is that I'm back in college and I haven't been to class in weeks and of course we have an exam that day...oh wait, that really happened... You spoke of exotic mental illness, have you secretly met my family and friends? My mother has a friend whose husband had such violent "dreams" that he actually sat up in bed and socked her right in the eyeball...I mean he nearly knocked that sucker out. She had to go the the ER. Knowing her, he probably was actually wide awake and getting in a good whack! I'd like to whack her myself...but that's another story. My son has started "sleep-walking"( he's 12 turns 13 in July) and I know this is an odd time for him to say the least. He yells out and curses waking us all including the dogs who run like they're shot to get away from him. I know young boys go through some "stuff" around this time of their lives...but he's acting like Jack Nicholson on the "shining"...but he's asleep! I wonder what he'll do next. Maybe he has one of those poltergeist things...I'm going to talk to his pediatrician about this but I'm secretly afraid he's going to say "lady, you're kid's nuts...and the squirrels are looking at you funny too"
 
Am I the only person alive out here?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?