Wednesday, April 26, 2006

 

The Dog Bark


I was sitting at a high school faculty lunch table. A woman who taught basic communication skills through the English Department was complaining about a student who was in over his head .He was a person to whom the word basic meant advanced placement, a real academic challenge.

The teacher lamented, ”That boy don’t even understand a simple sentence like, ‘The Dog Bark.”

Some years later it was a foreign language teacher. She had brought her young son to work, I know not why. The cafeteria was serving Chinese food that day. This woman, crude by nature, looked at the server and pointed to her fat little son and said, ”He wanna egg roll.”

This person taught English and Spanish and I just shook my head because I can go up and down the slang ladder but I know when I’m doing it and I really wish that so many teachers didn’t sound so ignorant.

I don’t mind it when people misuse language and I would never correct them because that is rude. But teachers at work should sound educated and many don’t because they’re not.

A few months ago I looked at my 10 year old grand daughter Anna and said, ”What’s wrong with this sentence? Where’s the cat at?”

She didn’t even flinch, ”Where the cat?”

How about you? How many languages do you speak? Middle class, working class and no class?

I’m out, yo!

Peace Freddogg

Comments:
Well, it's not the teachers I'm having the problems with...it's the other "language"influences upon my child that bother me. #1 is my ex-husband. He calls here (my son lives with me and visits his father most week-ends) and says"Where's the boy at?" I always say (and he NEVER gets the joke) "right before the at" This "rouge-neck" man also says such wonderful examples of the "english" language such as "we goin huntin and it's cold up ere so at boy needs to wer a coat"...Help me. Then #2 on my list of language destroyers is the young African American lingo so popular these days...for example"yo momma gettin jiggy with the man" or "let's go to the ho-tel and get us some hos" or "yo,man we be pimpin' at the club". If my child combined the two language forms I can't imagine what he would sound like..."hey wer you at, we pimpin up ere at 'at skoal club up ere yo Billy Bob". What will the so- called "english"language sound like in the future?I think it's morphing into another language.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?