Friday, September 01, 2006

 

BACTERIA HYSTERIA



A green thumb is a good thing but for a guy could mean he is gay in a purple trumpet sort of way. A green pocket of light green infection at the end of an index finger producing red streaks through the palm of my hand was most likely a bad thing, all throbbing digit jokes aside, so I took myself to the Boo Boo Hospital emergency room which is under construction complete with a giant vacuum system for removing harmful carcinogens from the internal atmosphere other wise known as the air.

I tend to present injuries where the hardened people who work in Emergency rooms respond with “Yuk! What is that?”

I proudly responded during intake interview that I was not allergic to anything, that I did not take any prescription medication, and that I was in perfect health. I also said “NO” to “do you drink alcohol” figured they meant the kind you rub on your body for what reason I never figured but every household has a bottle in case someone figures it out.

I was tagged with a raspberry colored bracelet which I joked looked like a Homo Tracking Device—not that there’s not a need for that.

I took my seat among the infirm. There was a young white couple with 2 week old “trashy baby” I’m sorry I know that’s wrong but mom was wearing gray sweat pants and white tee shirt and drinking a non diet fruity soda while pony tailed dad was all “Yo Boyed” out with untied hiking boots and Orlando Magic hat turned backwards and eating a bologna sandwich on white bread.

And there was one young black man who soon was joined by two younger boys then three older women then a much older couple then two hospital workers then some left and others came- one woman wearing a drywall mask-then He left and did not come back and I was confused but I knew when black people do the emergency room thing it usually extends many generations out to the third cousin level and also neighbors.

A you pasty white girl rolled in pushed by her concerned mother. She had dirty blond hair as in dirty which matched her clothes. She was hunched over making noises into a barf bag. No one paid any attention to her so I figured her performance was as common as a Seinfeld rerun.

I then realized that the bag was to capture carbon dioxide which helps stave off the oxygen overload dizziness that comes from hyperventilation brought on by anxiety attacks. I was going to smack her hard then shout “Shut up! Your o.k. Stop being a hyper vigilant alarmist. We’re all going to die!

Christine a former student and ER nurse smiled and invited me into the back where injured, sick and those who imagine they’re both awaited a visit from “Tom” who I guess was a doctor but would have been better cast in a Holiday Inn commercial.

Tom said the “needle” word and I suggested aspiration and then he said scalpel and I suggested scrapple and then the black nurse who was a Jesus loving sweet person said Tetanus shot and I said “My Ass” and she said “No your arm would do fine.”

I did overhear a woman in the hallway on a gurney say she had MS, Acid Reflux, Restless Leg Syndrome along with a number of contagions visiting her host body. I was going to suggest a private room for her and the P & P diet.

“What’s the P & P diet, Dr. Fredman”?

“Pancakes and Peppermint Paddies”

“What good are pancakes and peppermint paddies going to do me?”

“None, but they’re the only things that will slide under the door.”

“Paging Dr. Freddogg”!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?