Monday, September 11, 2006

 

PAINFUL MEMORIES


Five years ago Cape Henlopen high school where I worked was hard wired for the avoidance of reality. This was never more clearly focused among the integrated centrally controlled classroom network of televisions then when the Columbine story was breaking.
The Vice Principal, a five star alarmist in a three alarm world, ordered all televisions switched to Nickelodeon which was featuring some skinny drug addict talking to a dog named Magenta on a program called Blues Clues which qualified as ironic in a sub-reference Columbine sort of way.

When 911 happened sometime around 9:11 I had just finished my “World According To Fredman” current events lesson. My theme for each class was always “Some day you will wake up and the world will be a different place.”

I told my students to kick back and commence to lust after and grope one another as we passively watched Channel One where mixed raced homosexual correspondents traveled the world protected by automatic weapons off camera.

CNN came on as I waited for channel One to kick in. I saw a smoking World Trade Tower and thought of King Kong. I also always thought that any plane traversing the New York sky line would be shot from the sky and then questions would be asked.

I told the kids to be quiet that this was a big story depending on the size of the plane. I was thinking plane never contemplating the life inside that building in which I rode the elevator to the top several times once with a class of Cape students many grossly out of shape and not stair steppers for two floors or 80.

The television then switched to Channel One “Aids in Africa” and there was Ted Kopple and everyone said “We don’t want this story!” In fact , they never wanted that story and ironically the Channel One correspondent looked like the lead singer from the Fine Young Cannibals.

Students hit the parking lot to get to car radios. The story started to unravel. World Trade Two the Pentagon and several missing planes. Kids with brains grew smart enough to be scared.

A young, athletic, deer hunting, red necked, I own my own shotgun and hunt with my daddy, girl named Katie, started to cry and said, ”Fredman I want this to be over. This is my senior year. I don’t need this. Are we safe? Can you tell me it’s safe?” Katie said, going Marathon Man on me. Welcome to the team! You are an American just like the rest of us" I told her.

School was dismissed and we got to go home and watch the second plane crash into the Tower over and over from different angles. Then there were the home videos of collapsing buildings and foreign shots of Palestinians dancing in the streets. College and pros games were cancelled. A wave of patriotism and I hate to say stupid country songs swept the nation.

Then came the Taliban and Afghanistan then Iraq and Sunnis and Shites and Kurds but the good news is Americans have no idea about these players so just signed off to Bush, ”Go stomp whoever needs stomping” which is where we are five years later.

A four year old girl was on one of those airplanes. A guy flying back to California to get his lab puppy was on another. You have to wonder if you were in World Trade Two on a school trip how fast you would get out after the first plane hit.

A guy just hired at $700 grand a year was in charge of security and evacuation. But there was no plan for planes. How about this one?

“If a plane hits either building everyone gets out as quickly as possible. Sound the high pitched alarms and keep them screaming! And everyone just keep on running until you see Jersey License plates.”

I give the Saudi Terrorists absolutely no credit for a well orchestrated plan. The people paid to protect us were not prepared. We are still a free country with “soft targets” all over the place. My entire day is moving from one soft target to another.

And now Conspiracy Theorists are running amuck among us. ‘We attacked ourselves!” And some smart people be believing that shit.

I believe we lost 3000 good and innocent Americans five years ago. I believe I grieve for those team members. Beyond that I live in a state of foreign policy confusion and bewilderment but at least I admit it!

Freddogg






Comments:
5 years ago I woke up prepared to spend my birthday working in the Senate where the cafe workers gave me extra scoops of mashed potatoes to help pile on my 8 month pregnant frame. I walked the 6 blocks to the Hart office building and watched the world change before my eyes on a tiny tv that everyone gets on their desks. We got together for the morning call we had with the Senator and tried to decide what was really going on in NYC. Suddenly, the Pentagon was attacked, and false reports of the State Building being bombed floated thru the air. I was at the pentagon the day before the attack to discuss issues related to Dover Air force base on behalf of my boss, Sen. Carper. Not waiting for any official evacuation orders I decided to go home, and invited anyone else who wanted to hang out to come with me. So, my home quickly became the unofficial office of Sen. Carper's entire DC office except the Senator, who later joined us after a brief visit to the capitol. We were six blocks away from the capitol and watched as people way freaked got into a three car fender bender right in front of the house. A month full of evacuating our office twice a day, low flying helicopters at night and check points, I left work in anticipation of the birth of my daughter, the Friday before the anthrax attack that happened right across the hall from Sen. Carper's office. Sometimes you read about people who were saved by ordinary life instead of heading to work on 9/11. It is crazy that people think the U.S. attacked itself, but lives of so many have changed by poor choices made by leadership in this country. The same kind of life decisions like joining the reserves to pay for college, are now potentially just as tragic as those decisions made by strangers who joined the jihad and smashed planes into buildings. After 9/11 it felt like some strange movie, and it scared me to see how lazy "journalists" were and what kind of advantage the current administration would take of feelings of outrage, fear, and patriotism. Now we live in the suburbs and my biggest fear is that someone will ask me again to join their scrap booking circle and I will not have a good excuse other than, I am sorry, but I just don't dig crinkle cut scissors. We still fear the worst case scenario, but we see now it was all of us who didnt realize what kind of world were living in even before the first plane took off. We just choose to not pay attention (hi there CIA, FBI, etc) just like we do when anything bad is on tv or in the paper, but we will notice the sales and comics and cut out our coupons, because life goes on. Memories live on, too. God Bless the U.S.A. Seasonal Furniture 50% off.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?