Tuesday, October 10, 2006

 

Coded By Color


I was standing on the visitors sidelines some years ago at the University of Delaware as Georgia Southern decided to “go for it” on fourth down and two yards. They came out and lined up over the football and a Delaware fan screamed, “Tackle all the black people!” I just burst out laughing because it was funny!

Last week a Captain in the New York police department, at a morning roll call, said. ”We are having trouble at a certain subway stop with muggings. The victims are always white and the perpetrators always black therefore your orders are to frisk all black people on the platform because after all it’s a white neighborhood and what are they doing there anyway?"

Some officers were outraged, others appalled, a few outraged and appalled. Others just laughed and said, ”that bitch is crazy.”

A few years ago back in the high school where I taught an administrator sent a memo around to teachers in bold black letters. The memo read “There’s trouble brewing and it seems to involve young black males.”

All teachers were told to stand out in the halls between classes and be on the lookout. I always stood out in the halls because I’m fat in a fit world, always on the lookout for social contacts, friendly greetings and simply saying hello to kids.

Deshawn who played football came walking past me and said, ”Hey Fredman, what are you doing, looking for young black males?” I didn’t like the insinuation that I was profiling or recruiting sprinters for a relay team.

Later in the day a fight erupted which involved only black males from one community versus another. I suppose Caucasians could have joined the conflagration but none did.

A black friend of mine is an executive in the financial market and drives a two door Acura with a spoiler and pretty nice rims as well. He gets profiled because sometimes jar headed town cops think he’s a drug dealer.

Cops and feds sit along I 95 and by bridges and tunnels profiling their asses off all day long. ‘You pulled over a Windstar with soccer ball decals on the back? What kind of moron are you. You are making it rough on the other black officers out here”!

I’ve had kids of color refuse to come into a class the first day if they were the only person of color or if the class were all people of color. I walked into a class of Honors European History and saw all Euros in the seats. I asked, “where is the Honors African History class, and was told there was no such animal and I said, ”Why it gotta be an animal?’

And forget Hispanics they are dumped in the dumb downed classes until they learn how to speak right!
Back in the 1980’s the city public schools of Cleveland passed a rule that every basketball team had to include two white people. There was a cartoon in the newspaper of two white guys sitting at the end of the bench with boom boxes on their shoulders. I laughed because it was funny.

The good news is in Philly they love McNabb and hate Owens and I never heard a single fan mention color other than Green and Blue.

Freddogg

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?