Tuesday, November 07, 2006

 

I'M A GUY GUY






John Ritter played the gay character Vaughn in the movie Slingblade whom the young boy referred to as not a "guy guy," When the boy explained Vaughn to his backward buddy Car,l he said, "Vaughn is funny. You know not funny Ha Ha but funny Queer."



I had an uncle who was in the Navy floating around the Pacific watching the randomness of kamikaze attacks. Uncle Cholly built boats inside bottles throughout his life. He was always a breath away from the "“Navy Guy" ” and navy war stories.

I've read about battles like Gaudalcanal and Normandy and I don'’t know how you re-enter “normal life after surviving those kind of experiences. So you become "Veteran Guy" or "VFW Guy or "Legion hat in a Parade Guy" and sadly mostly veterans are quiet because the very term "‘war stories" ” has the connotation of long and tedious and elaborated outside tlikelihoodof liklihood yarns from back yonder.

Young men play college football then go on to become "Alumni Football Tailgating with my Old Teammates Guys." I played football in college but I'’m not" Alumni Guy" because none of my guys wanted to be alumni guys either. I am a sportswriter so I cover University of Delaware football and they have a pregame parking lot filled with alumni guys and they have fun and they keep it all in balance and if a 50 year old man wants to wear a helmet in a parking lot that'’s his business.

I was a Rehoboth Beach Lifeguard and I'’m proud to be in the fraternity and have great friends from 30 years back but I have moved on and not "Lifegurad Guy" either. I retired from teaching and I am definietly not "“teacher guy."”

A young woman who coaches volleyball recently passed me and said,"”Hi Coach!" She then caught herself and said, "Why did I call you coach?"

"“I won five state titles as a track coach and coached football as well," I said. Her response, "that was when I was little."

Now I will cop to being "Coach Guy" and "Catholic Guy" but I no longer coach or go to church. I've run marathons and done triathlons but I'm never was "Let Me Bore You With My Training" guy. I've been called "Fat Guy" and "That Guy's A Smart Ass" but I always assumed those derisive comments were intended for someone else.

I think the guy I am changes by the minute and lives in the moment. Just last Saturday I was grandaddy with a bent back guy and today I was big beast at the gym friendly sports guy.

The is no football team that is mine and I never refer to a profession team was "we" ” should be good this year.

I am proud to be an American but I'm not "Lee Greenwood Guy." I stand for more National Anthems a year than anyone but I'’m not “"Hand over Heart Guy."

I think I' ’m just "“don'’t be that guy"” whoever "that guy" happens to be.

Peace

Fredguy

Comments:
I think you are just a Good Guy!!!
 
haha, wow fred you've done it again. somehow you always manage to make me laugh and shake my head.
 
Hey my friend Brooke how is your life on a scale of 1 to 10 or 0 to 350
 
I am good. I am very busy with work and the kids. Andrea played volleyball this fall and will now run indoor track. I check out your blog every week. Hope to see you soon.
 
Hey anonymous is me.
 
This is Brooke like polar opposite of Fredman but still accepts my humor Brooke with the sprinter daughter. You may be the coolest christian I know because catholics aren't Christians they are too busy being Catholics
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?