Wednesday, January 17, 2007

 

BEGGING THE QUESTION






James Lipton host of “Inside The Actors Studio” on the Bravo channel, is the son of Lawrence Lipton, the American poet in case you didn’t know it.

Last Monday night, closing out an interview in front of his Pace University students with Martin Lawrence, Lipton solemnly asked the comedian, “What is your favorite word?”

“Motherfucker,” Martin said, and everyone laughed. Actually, Lipton pointed out, a syllable was left out, as Martin pronounced it “Mahfucker.”

Then he asked him his least favorite word and Martin said, ”Racism.” And the audience went “auh.”

Are all these mahfuckers insane or am I missing something here?

Can a black man and public figure who is a producer and director of films many people find funny expect universal respect when his admitted favorite word is ‘mahfucker?”


Personally, I don’t like deep probing questions in an interview like my answer matters. ”How does Fredman define love”?
“Love means never having to say mahfucker”
Everyday someone asked me this question “How’s retirement?”
“My favorite word is ‘mahfucker is all I know,” is the stock answer I’m going to adopt because perhaps that will get their attention otherwise people do what high school students do which is to ask a question and not stick around for the answer.

There was a teacher in her last year on the job-she had retired 10 years earlier- who would sit in the faculty dinning room eating cheese toast while her legs under the table were always spread apart-it was actually quite hideous and everyone cast their eyes away because of the imagery but also if you said, ”How’s it going," Dot went off on a monologue of disjointed personal feelings surrounding the drivel of her dryer drum life. I would always say “hello, how ‘s it going," knowing I was soon going where she arrived years earlier so I may as well get some insight into what I would be sounding like. How’s it going Dot?”
“I don’t know, my freezer died or tripped the breaker, there was a puddle in the utility room and I guess the cat died last week but it just happened for me cause I just found him and now I’m too old to get another cat who will outlive me then nobody would take him and Montgomery Ward won’t come out and look at the freezer because I didn’t buy it there and I’ve been eating Vanilla doughnuts at the B & E market on Saturday mornings for the last 30 years and when I retire I’m going to eat them every morning except they just stopped making them because the baker was killed –drowned in the canal some say it was an accident but you have to go there to fall in and he never been there before and do you know what time this lunch is over not that it matters because I’m off all the lunches so I just sit here and people come in and out but no one wants to talk to an old lady except for you.” And I stood my ground out of respect and because people are fountains of words and they are fascinating but one time Dot paused and said, “Why the hell are you just standing there? You just stand there. I talk and go on and on and you just stand there. Don’t you have to be in class? You don’t care if your late I hear because you think you’re such a big deal. So say something.”
“Don’t they have anyone else to make Vanilla doughnuts? I love those things.” Retired in Peace Freddogg

Comments:
I love the sequence of non-sequiturs and how you tie it all together together with the vanilla donut line.

That's just how she talked.
 
and just how I'm begining to talk and what about those doughnuts. awesome I want one right now!
 
I don't know if you talk like that, but you do write like that, mahfucker. But I enjoy it, seems to fit my brain.
 
Hey terry New Yorker has story on Homo Depot CEO buyout.I wish some muhfucker would give me 200 million to go away BUT I wouldn't I'd stay becuase what fun is spending money on yourself?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?