Wednesday, February 07, 2007

 

Stop Snickering





Looking for silliness at 5 a.m.this morning I found it on http://www.msnbc.com/ website before I even got to the Astro Nut diva in a diaper mace in the face love triangle story.
Apparently the Superbowl Snickers Ad which has two auto mechanics accidentally kissing has been pulled—no pun- because of the possibility or implication that it was anti gay.
Remember in Planes, Trains and Automobiles the scene of Steve Martin and John Candy cuddling in bed and then they spring to their feet and Candy says, ”How bout Dem Bears?” Ironically, a large burly gay is called A Bear inside the secret culture of leather and lace when outted from the hibernation of straight coveralls.
All I say is, “who cares?” one way or another. Prior to watching Imus each morning I listen to the gay news anchor kibitz with the gay weather guy usually after the entertainment feature. I like it as I am a champion of diversity and I wonder how long before the complaints inspire a closed door meeting where some boring executive tells these guys to stop acting so gay so early in the morning.
Speaking of snowing and will schools start late, 20 years ago a local gay weatherman-believe me I know-was looking at a menacing map as my fifth grade twins were looking at him.
“ It looks like North Carolina will get socked with 10 inches of snow but I predict this system will move off the coast and maybe give us a dusting with no appreciable accumulation.”
“Shut up faggot!” one of the twins yelled and they both were angry and I was like” Did you just call Dennis the Weather Guy a faggot?” where did you learn that and one mumbled that “Mom sometimes calls you that when you’re not home” and I said, “stop and don’t implicate her because I know that’s not true.”
You see I raised straight children in a downtown gay neighborhood and they were good with words but didn’t really know what they meant. Like the time I asked “How come you guys don’t play with Bill and Luke anymore and they said, “because they’re butt buddies and will only play with each other” or the time one wet his head then combed his hair into a pompadour then asked his mother, ”Hey mom! Do you think I look like a faggot?”
I know that people who take themselves too seriously do not get taken seriously at all. Basically gay men will laugh at a non malicious joke while gay women just throw punches.

Freddpuppy




http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16566275/

Comments:
Fredpuppy,

My kids have had a similar experience to yours (growing up in a gay-friendly community) and they have also developed a disdain for gays. Curiously, I have found myself in the position of defending gays (not their lifestyle) as people that shouldn't be ridiculed just because they are different.

The last time I attempted to correct them, the younger one responded, "Are you telling us we should like the fudgepackers?"

After reading your blog and dealing with my own kid's prejudice, I'm beginning to think that disgust with unnatural sexual behavior might be genetic. Therefore, if it's not our kids' fault, perhaps a little diversity on my part is appropriate here - what do you think?

My name is Earle
 
I just tell the story the way it happened and I do have all kinds of friends and would defend them to the death if anyone messed with them.
I always taught tolerance and amazingly that in itself is controversial.
A student once asked me,"Yea but what would you do if one of your sons came home and told you he was gay"?
"I'd tell him to go decorate the living room,"I said and everyone laughed and the bell rung and out the door they went carrying thier prejudices with them
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?