Thursday, February 22, 2007

 

What's Your Major Dog?





What’s your vector Victor? What’s you major, Major? Have you ever noticed the number of times people have said, “I’m not a Psychology major but I know something is wrong with that guy?” It’s like majoring in college in a particular field has anything to do whatsoever with expertise in the field of the major.
In education the word is certified as in “You know I am dually certified.” Really well then maybe you’re twice the idiot I thought you were?”
I know that public schools spend a great deal of time teaching irrelevance with justifying arguments that Medieval History or British Literature should be required to all those not remotely interested people who will never in the lifetime of their lineage have an opportunity to apply the information they ignored when it was first delivered.
I spend a lot of time in my sports job checking out little biographies of athletes by clicking on the roster of team web sites.
Hardly anyone majors in classical subjects or even science subjects, certainly not math. No, they are majoring in things like Sports Management and Communication with others majoring in Criminal Justice and Urban Studies and it just makes me wonder, ”Does any of this stuff lead to actual jobs?”
I retired from high school teaching and took all my experience, certifications and communication skills, to the local community college and applied to teach anything and everything from journalism to psychology, criminology, sports media and all I was told was how many qualified people were looking for jobs and I know just because I do that “what qualified people are they talking about” because I’ve seen some of the people who flop into the boat when they drag the river looking for new teachers.
I think athletes are being exploited because not only are less than 70 percent ever graduating but those with degrees in Sports Management and Communications are getting a job exactly where? And if you don’t speak clearly and write well even though you have a degree just where is your employment landing zone? Right could be the NFL but if you want to mangle the language you had better at least be a former player.

Ten years ago my back deck with filled with young men who were drinking beer and enjoying each other’s company. There were sociologists, anthropologists, criminologists, linguists, experts in comparative religions of the world and a psychology major. And they all had one thing in common; they were all waiters in the restaurant business. Because birds gotta eat and dogs gotta fly or however that song goes. God bless the child who majors in Psychology.

Peace

Major Freddogg

Comments:
Tell me about it Fredman! I have a Political Science degree with a journalism minor and 20 years of restaurant and catering experience to show for it. What exactly am I qualified to do with a poli sci degree? How many political scientists do you see anywhere, especially Sussex County? I would really like to move on and get a job that doesn't entail serving pretentious jerks who I could out argue on most subjects - because like you said, most wait people I know are a lot smarter than anyone gives them credit for. I guess my next step around here would be retail because if you can't get a job teaching at DelTech, they sure as hell are not going to give me a job there and I think that I may be overqualified to teach in the district when I had a teacher tell me that my child had a C in science this term because she (the teacher) didn't have a good "kit" for her solar system unit to teach from!? I guess there isn't enough information on the solar system out there for her to come up with her own "kit". I think that many of the good teachers have become "administrized". That is my made up word meaning that they are no longer able to teach outside the box, literally. If there is not a kit/lesson in front of them telling them exactly what and when to teach that has been approved by the administrative offices, they are lost. Where is the creativity and imagination in the schools these days? I wouldn't last a week though I believe I could be a great teacher, they wouldn't want me because I would definately rock the boat. God, they were probably glad to be rid of you!!
 
I was outside the box long before it was an expression,long before passive agressive and oppositional defiant disorder.
I love smart people and I love it if they are smarter than me so I can learn from them.
I can tell you are so smart and would make a great teacher kids should have access to smart people who are no threatened by insitutions who don't need kits people who never utter my least favorite word Porfolio.
I loved my students and worked on them to think and to figure out, to interrelate and to apply knowlege but too many kit people and the students themselves become kit students and don't understand real minds.
It is all very frustrating and like Bob Dyman sang,"You've got to serve somebody."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?