Tuesday, May 29, 2007

 

Empathy and Me






I recently received a group media email release inviting me to a golf course to do a story on a man who on his 60th birthday was going to play 60 holes of golf just like his father did when he turned 60.
I thought to myself,”Play golf until all the displaced by golf course cows come home I don’t really care. Why is this personal goal worthy of public attention?”
And so we are smack dab into the personal goals of endurance requiring much disposable time pay attention to me period and throw a disease fund raiser on top of that and its hard to avoid not only paying attention but writing a check as well.
I don’t know where the empathy for fellow man begins and the pay attention to the spoiled child in all of us begins. The new phenomena is for individuals to raise money in their hometown for a competition in a place thousands of miles away to raise money for some human pestilence that has affected us all.
Let’s talk abut me for awhile! I have done marathons, half marathons, triathlons, weight lifting competitions, weight loss competitions, open water long distance open swims, hundreds of polar bear jumps and I’m currently contemplating crossing the country in a Volkswagen beetle convertible with a plastic flower on the aerial just to record how many times my fellow countrymen yell out to me, ”Hey Faggot!”
I also thought of pulling over in a brand new Toyota Land Cruiser in the heart of a nearby ghetto-they are all over the place-and taking a nap at 3 a.m. just to see how long before someone tries to kill me.
Anyone can run, hike and bike, I’m talking about the real challenge of pushing up against class and culture conflicts, real people who don’t much care about pledge forms and training logs.
I want to Scooter up in front of a North Philly liquor store-often a gathering place for non goal directed unemployables- and shout,” How come ain’t nobody got no job all up in here?”
And then the chase to the I 95 on ramp-man versus machine- all for the cause of trauma research.

Dr. Freddogg

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?