Wednesday, July 25, 2007

 

Sunset Boulevard





I was rolling down my driveway last Monday night as the golden hour of photo soft light was just beginning to make everyone look better. A pair of 10 year old girls’ eating apples shouted for me to stop.
‘Mr. Fredman, where are you going and when will you be back?”
“I’m going to the Lewes Yacht Club down by the bay because I am part of a joke.”
“What joke” one asked, while the other looking like Huck Finn’s sister, spun a core through her teeth, her wet face looking so Rockwellian?
“A man walks into a bar joke.”
“Oh,” they said. “Because we want to sit over here” and they pointed to a place on my front lawn where you can see through the trees to the open sky.
“Go ahead and sit there,”I said. “You can sit there anytime you want.”
“Yea, but we want you to sit here with us and watch the sun set. It is so pretty.”
“O.k., maybe I’ll get back real fast,” I said, thinking I haven’t sat in funky deep woods lawn scrub for a long time and it wouldn’t be a pretty site, especially my getting up. Ever notice in movies with Indians the revered chief is always sitting near the fire but they never show him getting up groaning as his sway back palomino hides behind a wigwam?
I drove to town knowing I was stupid and missing out on an invitation that was so honest and special and I don’t know why these neighbor kids love me I think because I don’t change who I am when I talk to them and I listen to them and they love to say "Mr Fredman."
But I’m at the bar drinking Amstel Light-how yuppy gay-surveying the room to see if there’s anyone I would like to talk to beyond 30 seconds worth when a former professor of mine-he was my masters advisor and his expertise is Latin American Studies and fishing for flounder= sits down next to me. His wife is on the bad thief left side.
We commence a conversation which someone off his shoulder interrupts and then someone to my right intercepts me to tell me how much they enjoy reading my column and I tell him my wife actually writes it and I look out on an upper deck and people with million dollar homes have come to the freaking Yacht Club to watch the sun set into the Broadkill River.
I just kept thinking that my first deal was the best and I’ll never get it back.
Finally, Professor John and I have a clear site line to resume a conversation.
“Before we resume talking I’d just like to say I’ve had an awful lot to drink since last time we spoke,”John said, and I said, ”You are the bar joke of my final destination. By the way,is that wine pink on has the sun set inside your chardonnay?”

Chief Freddogg

Comments:
John Deiner? If s, he was my adviser on my senior (undergrad) paper in Poly Sci- Nicaragua/Somoza regime. Great guy....nothing like talking about revolutionary politics and corrupt US backed dictatorships as you have your toes in the sand watching the sun go down
 
Absolutly the greatest guy I wish you has been there but still I should have stayed home
 
Freddog,

Couldn't help but feel like I was reading the background for a Jimmy Buffet song as I read your post, and even your follow-up comment.

There's hope for you yet, my beloved brother, as even if you didn't make the right decision at least you regret it. Don't get me wrong, the LYC is a fantastic place but our reasons for patronizing it should change as we progress in the journey.

Life can be enigmatic, especially when we get to the top of the ladder only to reallize that it's leaning on the wrong building. What's important is to know that it's never too late to move your ladder.

The Messenger
 
Maybe I can be there next time- we're renting a house on Midland Ave Aug 18-25.
 
and now all the dogs of Fred can be there even the messenger but only if he drinks and uses profanity and works on saving you and not me
 
Freddog,

You never know where I'll show up, but I won't be drinking and using profanity. Been there - done that for the better part of 30 years, and all it got me was drunk, and trying to remember what I wish I forgot.

I'm not working on saving anyone. I'm only the messenger, remember?

TM
 
I know I just be playing. I would love to meet you for some coversation some night. Mostly I talk to animals.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?