Friday, November 09, 2007

 

How Much Do You Make?




Some years ago sitting in an elevated booth eating pizza with a bunch of adult men who just finished playing full court basketball where the uncontested lay-up was just an ugly attempt to avoid multiple injuries, a state cop asked a college professor, “so how much do you make anyway?”
That became a long running joke, because asking that question is comically rude and most of us are perceived as being worth much less than we actually earn and that’s the way we like each other.
I was a public employee and perceived by students as affable, respectful of them, funny, clever, and easy grader, who taught life lessons and affording them the opportunity to express an opinion.
Once in awhile a student would ask, “What are you doing here making 30 grand a year, you should be a stand-up comedian.”
Then I would do my job and tell them facts which would increase their knowledge of the planet-no, it’s not 300 miles to Spain-and also tell them their teachers made twice as much money as students thought they were worth.
I’d throw out $70 grand a year for the average experienced teacher with a Masters Degree plus 45 credits in off road Sussex County and the students would flip, saying “phys ed teachers too” and the underlying current would be ugly reflective of the home front where teachers are perceived as doughnut dispensers making tips and overtime.
I’d also be asked if I got paid for “that little article” I wrote in the paper twice a week. My job as sports editor of a local paper including game stories, photos and columns looked like so much fun that it had to be a hobby.
I am always asked to emcee events and there is no expectation that I would be paid because I’m quick, funny and witty for free but for payment they will go get a professional. I'd always joke "why pay a pro when you cannot pay me?"
Five years ago I was teaching, writing and knocking down a real academic Masters Degree with courses in Bio Technology, Irish Literature, Latin American History, First Amendment Analysis and shit like that there.
And often people would ask me “So what exactly do you do?” and I would always answer “I don’t do a dam thing” because that is my talent-no matter how much I am doing I always look like I’m doing nothing-which is why my conversations with others are always interrupted because “how important can they be compared with the pressing needs of the overburdened and self absorbed?”
I am bringing up this subject as the revelation that local School District administrators have been granted raises over the last three years has been met with outrage by people who make much less with much less education because a plumber may be worth 85 dollars and hour but an education ain’t worth shit to a persons life running downhill.
In closing, let me ask,”How much does your sorry ass make and is it twice as much as your actually worth"

Professor Freddogg

Comments:
My sorry ass would be rich if I had been paid what I was worth.I am worth so much more.....
 
Dear Fredman,
The disparity between contribution and compensation has been heavily debated. Most experts will respond that it should be left to marketplace forces; however, these experts either work for the marketplace or control the marketplace. Warren Buffet, not Jimmy who is much more entertaining but a piker compared to Warren in the BIG BUCKS department, understands that his compensation is far out of line with his contribution and has the good grace to contribute some of it back to the society from whence it came. Those who will complain the most about distribution of wealth by government fiat are the ones who will conspire to redistribute the wealth upward to those most greedy and least needy.
R. Malachy Ward
 
I have a Warren Buffet story as it related to his daughters gift to The George School in Newton,Pa a football team I coached against and beat with team team of certified emotionally disturbed people.
More on that later.

fredman
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?