Sunday, December 16, 2007

 

Hand and the Holy Man


The hand and the holy man-the lord protects no one from heathen humor.
I had a flashback to football camp 1963 and I was a silent leader revolting against a staff who wanted us to be more enthusiastic like the West Catholic team that was also in the camp at Delaware Valley College.
Father Fidelis Weber. A tanned a fit priest who wore glasses came into our dorm room to broker the piece. About five of us were just hanging about and somehow Christ and the Apostles were used as a comparison to a high school football team.
The Fidelis visit was unexpected and as he continued to preach he noticed we were more distracted than usual because over his shoulder hanging on a closet door was a five foot cardboard skeleton with movable limbs and John Kerr had adjusted the right arm and hand so it looked like the skeleton was saying ‘I got your skeleton right here!”
I finally changed from resenting the “stupidness of spirited practices” to laughing at the incongruity of the situation as that skeleton looked more and more like he had all the answers.
Later in the first Catholic League game in school history I drove a defender to his back in the endzone looked down at him and said, “Bless you son and I’ve got your skeleton right here!”
God populated the earth with props and said ‘Go forth and use them creatively in a propagating sort of way.’
Hey I’m late for mass!

Father Freddogg

Comments:
Ever think of maybe writing for the DelVal alumni magazine?

Let me know.

-sean

www.delval.edu
 
I'm only an alumnus of the football camp I attended there four years of my high school career. We used to get sent there also if we needed some serious ahtletic training like the time the head trainer wrapped my entire leg without shaving or prewrap and when he took it off he simply made one long cut then ripped it with two hands. Repressed memories have a way of coming out. Long live the skeleton
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?