Monday, April 14, 2008

 

All Dirt Bagged Up




I’m going back to Memphis back home to see my momma. The only clothes I got left that ain’t rags is my pajamas.” Levon Helm 1977

I was at the Delaware Department of Motor Vehicles down home Sussex County Division this morning charming a fat young white girl so she wouldn’t dog me out and send me back home mission unaccomplished.

I saw an old man walk past and out the door carrying a license plate and wearing plaid pajamas. “Did you just see that guy wearing pajamas,”I said.

“It don’t surprise me none,” the girl answered. “I’ve seen a lot worse that that.”

And why is it that people get all dirt bagged up to get a car inspected or change over a title.

I saw a black man in a shirt of vertical stripes and another in a shirt of horizontal beach ball color design. Black people call these “white boy shirts” which I guess makes these guys Nackers.
And layered flannel is still in fashion including the black guys. I saw some hard looking older white guys hanging out getting trailers re-tagged looking all cock strong, we’re talking men who have never played a sport or gone to a gym but if one ever had occasion to grab you in anger you just ain’t getting loose. These are the type of men who can lift a man hole cover in the line of work but they are not working out to look better because they don’t care and they look it, they are simply strong, goofy and dangerous and hate David Letterman, Larry David and Barack Obama.

Postscript: 35 years ago I had a high homeroom at a special school for emotionally disturbed teens. I saved absentee notes and the last full day I put all excuses together and wrote them on the board. A hippy named Bill Jones was absent 45 times. His notes written by his mother were all the same. “Please excuse Bill he was ill.” We all called him Ill Bill.
Then there was Alonzo Simmons the bruising and introverted fullback from the football team. Alonzo had 23 notes written by his mother which all read “Please scuse Lonzo he be gettin his car spected.” We all called Alonzo “Mr. Simmons.”

The good news is I’m not ill and I don’t have to get my car spected for another year.

freddogg

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?