Saturday, April 26, 2008

 

Effluence Intersects Affluence




A man with a Ph.D. in sociology purchased an army barracks compound post World War 2 in the middle of affluence and quickly turned it into a white ghetto and had no problem filling up the place with disjointed families heading by alcoholics and drug users and domestic batterers.
I taught at the junior high where these kids came to school. About 200 in grades 7 through 9 with low self esteem who problem solved through violence and talked nasty all the time even the girls.
One morning the kids from Lacy Park were particularly agitated because a body was hanging from a construction crane at one of their bus stops.
Crises counselors with college degrees and six thousand degrees of ghetto separation came to school to console dirty foul mouth talking prone to violence pubescents who outwardly found Mr. Blue Head to be an hilarious site and they just couldn’t stop talking about it and punching each other and threatening to hang each other’s mothers.
A recent survey of Inner City East L.A. high school students conducted by a Loyola Marymount youth group and published in the Los Angeles Times concluded

“A survey of 6,008 South Los Angeles high school students shows that many are frightened by violence in school, deeply dissatisfied with their choices of college preparatory classes, and -- perhaps most striking -- exhibit symptoms of clinical depression.”

One therapeutic used as an avenue to therapy is a ghetto game board game sort of like Monopoly
“Where the familiar squares of Baltic, Atlantic and Marvin Gardens might be, the options included Drugs, Dean's Office and Drop Out. Jail was a place to go when you're pulled over by the cops for no apparent reason. Restroom was where the player was likely to encounter gang members. Where Boardwalk should have been, the square read: "Dead.”
Clinical depression is chemical while situational depression is a healthy reaction to an unhealthy situation. You’re supposed to be depressed if you attend one of these hell holes and that should be motivation to get the hell out.
Can you imagine "hanging out all day" with a multitude of depressed teenagers and trying to teach them exactly what? That reality doesn’t bite? That their lives don’t suck? I’m depressed just thinking about it.

Professor Freddogg

Comments:
I enjoy your writing; I googled your name - late at night thinking about growing up in Levittown and of course, Bishop Egan. I knew you from the hardwood, I was on the Freshman team with you, and other names I remember, Chris C, John K, Mike H; I moved to Va after our first game with Father Judge (I think), in early 61. Glad to see you're doing well - I'm doing well, still in Va. (married to wife #1 with 2 kids and a granddaughter!), I'm a Viet Vet, a working CPA and an adjunct at UVA and GMU teaching Income Taxes (and I still play the game!). Those were great times and I have fond memories. I'm a little familiar with your turf, my Grandfather grew up and is buried in Union Cemetary in Georgetown. It would be nice to catch up some day. I may visit this summer and I'll try to look you up. GD
 
All that info and you sign off as GD.my email is davefredman@comcast.net
 
are you left handed a product of Immaculate Conception- now there's a story.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?