Saturday, April 19, 2008

 

Three Hub Harmony



“Love’s The Only Engine of Survival” Leonard Cohen.


I sat on the bench outside the service station waiting for my 4Runner fresh from oil change and tire rotation and spare cranked back underneath where it had been for 180 thousand miles. I hate an ugly tire and rim almost as much as a donut tire.
An older couple-defined as older than me- (a man big enough at least for a couple of Tibetians) came out manifesting post partum bill depression. He carried the portable oxygen with deviated house into his septum while she had the right side leaning leg limp thing going on.
They were gazing into each other eyes like teenage lovers and you know what that means but let’s not even think about that. And then he kissed her like “we just paid a bill together now it’s off to the diner for some scrapple.”
Their old school boxey brown shaped Dodge Caravan crept past me and it was so dirty you could hardly see through the gull spattered windshield. It looked like a Rorschach test for dirt bags. She was driving while he concentrated on boosting his oxygen saturation.
A sticker on the back read “I Love my Wife” and another sticker was obscured but perhaps it said “Jesus didn’t own no power washer with 6 H.P Honda engine.”

“Just an old fashioned love song coming down in three hub harmony”

Freddogg

Comments:
What a wonderful love story........
 
Damn Fred- Leonard Cohen, 3 Dog Night, Dionne Warwick & Levon Helm...that's range, homeboy. Throw in a little Chi-Lites (Daddy's Home) and you will have covered the waterfront.

Did you know Bacharach wrote the theme from 'The Blob' (filmed up your way near my in-laws place), 'Baby, It's You', and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance?
 
Speaking of Gene Pitney I was sitting on the lifeguard on Baltimore Avenue in 1976 and my stand partner Jate Walsh was eating an egg salad sandwich at 10:20 a.m and singing Town without Pity.
I considered drowning myself on a swim to Portugal.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?