Sunday, August 24, 2008

 

The Name Drop Game



There is name dropping all up in Delaware this Sunday morning from Church parking lots to bagel shops as every citizen claims to know Joe Biden personally and the crazy thing about that is they probably do but dropping his name cuts no ice because in a small wonder of an egalitarian state like Delaware everyone is better than no one and as good as anyone. If you know Joe has hair plugs you may know him.
I have only been impressed once on a name drop and that was when my late friend Buck Thompson nonchalantly said to me, ”Last weekend I was at the Naval Academy watching a football game with Buddy Ebsen” and I immediately jumped in,” That is the greatest name drop ever! Jed Clampitt! “
Buck went on mentioning Buddy was a “great dancer you know” I do know that after 41 years of marriage Epsen got divorced telling his wife “I’m just tired of your dumb ass!” Actually I don’t know what he said maybe he left a note on the table?
I was in Senate chambers the last time Biden won re-election watching the new Senate crew get certified courtesy of a rouge ticket that ended up in the pocket of my Perma- Frost slicker from the outlet Mall and don’t tell me I didn’t wear it along with sneakers and white socks which is why a security stood next to me in the balcony and finally I turned “what do you want?’ and he said “Fredman you are awesome! Perma Frost?”
The Usher in the house was a runner and I knew him because I take pictures at road races.
Later my friend Dennis and I hobnobbed in the Rayburn Room where the Watergate Hearings had been held and I met Biden’s aid who lives in Lewes “What’s up Kevin?” and he just smiled “Perma Frost? Excellent touch.”
I saw Press and Buchanan doing a CNN show-I was surprised how tall they are-and I saw Press nudge Pat and say “Perma Frost” and everyone in their dumb-assed blazers and red power ties were starting to get on my freaking nerves dropping the name Perma Frost.
As you get closer to power you realize “anybody could do this if allowed” because what is the worse that could happen it’s not like you have to repack a set of brakes.
“Mr Fred your rotors need turning” “then turn the bitches”! Who knows what that means?
I have a great Biden story about how I called him from the Yacht Club bar on a Friday night to solve an immigration problem of a Costa Rican woman but upon refection I’m pretty sure I made up the story.
But I didn’t make up the story about two high ranking members of the Russian Air Force-a long story I knew them from the Walrus Club- who wanted to defect to Delaware beginning with asylum in my house- and I wrote and told them I knew Biden and they both disappeared forever and I could drop their names but then I may disappear prompting a novel “The Spy Who Came in For The Cold Cuts!”

Dr. Freddogg

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?