Friday, September 19, 2008

 

Pop Pop My Balloon





Speaking of big loser boy grandfather sports reporter dude yesterday I was doing my community service work taking pictures and collecting insightful commentaries of a high school girls field hockey game when the bottom fell out of my feeling pretty good about myself afternoon.
It started with me being blown off by the winning coach who after I said,”Good job” on her team’s 3 to 0 win which moved the season record to 5&0 she made that whisk away motion with her hand followed by some sound which translated in all languages to “will you please get lost?”
And then I headed for the comfort of my bench seat Tundra truck and was accosted by a parking lot parent who began to dress me down like Sarah Palen on a dead moose. ”Oh, I see your leaving and not covering the j.v. game. They are undefeated and the best team in the school but they get no coverage and no recognition and it’s just not fair to the girls who work so hard and there are other issues as well and I find the entire thing very upsetting.”
I considering unraveling the sexual frustration argument but instead directed her attention to a pod of Yuppy parents sitting in lawn chairs and that perhaps one of them or her could use the education wasted on them to help hype the needy and neglected under appreciated and over privileged field hockey bunnies that live like princesses in their households.
And so they question is: what had changed? Is it them or is it me? Am I less tolerant? Certainly. Are there more asshole parents than ever in history? Ya think?
In a way it’s kind of cool that the coach with a traveling fan base of 35 thinks it’s not worth talking to the experienced writer with an audience of 25 thousand while the parents view me as the journalistic Chia Pet capturing stories and photos for their child's scrapbook.
One middle school parent after a soccer game the day before actually tried to water me with a bottle of Dusani.
Tonight it’s high school football and it could be managers or cheerleaders perhaps the drum major but someone is coming after my ass for not paying enough attention to them. I think I will just listen and calmly respond, ”You suck. Go buy me a hot dog”


Freddogg

Comments:
fredman, you hit the nail squarely on the head.
 
It's a game for God's sake. Let the kids enjoy themselves and if the partent's want to be supportive then vote for an increase in school taxes and then get out of the way.
R. Malachy
 
I feel for you Fredman all I ever hear is that this team or that team does not get enough press coverage. I have been telling them to cut you some slack.
brooke
 
I am out there in the public and my main interest is putting smiles on the faces of kids. And they know that and so do parents like yourself. Just think what would be happening if I weren't out there at all?
Thanks for being a buddy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?