Tuesday, October 07, 2008

 

Guilt By Association





I have shared a cup of coffee with members of the SDS, Black Panther Party, Guardian Angels, Warlocks, Pagans, Hippies, Yippies and even a few Yuppies.
I’ve been friendly with homosexuals, bisexuals, transsexuals and transvestites.
When I visit the local prison of 1400 inmates men yell my name from windows as I walk across the prison yard once causing the deputy warden to ask “how do you know so many of these people? I was even the graduation speaker at their boot camp program and one of my remarks was “they call it boot camp because there are members of society who will keep the wet leather boot of moral righteous on you neck forever continually pressuring your head back into the muck wanting to mire you in your mistakes. Those people who don’t understand forgiveness ain’t worth knowing and ain’t worth talking about. It’s not about them anyway it is about you leaving mistakes behind and walking forward and away from the garbage that got you in here in the first place.”
I am personally uncomfortable with the tenor and tone of this presidential campaign that in finally cranking to a close. I can no longer watch anyone debate or make speeches or listen to party operatives. I am not a paranoid person but I really distrust individuals who can argue positions just to defend a party that signs their paycheck.
I often told my students to take beliefs they held strongly then argue the opposite point of view. The Religion classes of the Sixties taught me that but I was so good arguing the devil was a good guy that I was smacked by the teacher and told to shut up.
Watch any debate for Ad hominem arguments which basically leave the argument at the side of the road in favor of attacking the person. These arguments are always invalid in syllogistic logic as Barack learned in his Harvard Law classes.
I had this really smart friend Joe from West Philly who was arguing with a cop commander one night about all kinds of stuff and finally cop commander said,” Well it all gets down to a matter of opinion. It’s my opinion versus your opinion.”
“That’s a self referential self negating paradox,”Joe said. “If everything gets down to opinion then so does that statement.”
“Go fuck yourself! Cop Commander shouted. “Is that self referential enough for your fat ass?”

Comments:
Dave,
Stop confusing people with logic. They love ad hominem and slippery slope, they can believe and not have to think.
R. M. Ward
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?