Tuesday, November 11, 2008

 

Violence and Innocence



There can be no faith without doubt without challenge and without learning to defend. The crazy Catholic priests from the Sixties that taught religion classes at my high school were so good teaching defense of doctrine.
“Where did the first cow from Dave Frederick?”
“Why me Father? Why do I get that question? Can’t I have the immaculate conception as explained and bought by Joseph who swore” I never touched the women.”
I made every cow joke I could think of including using my aunt Rose and deducing that my grandmother must be god or else evolution was real.
We read the Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky a heavy duty spiritual drama of moral struggles of faith, doubt, reason and free will. Dostoevsky’s own son died at three from epilepsy he inherited from his father so the book is about three sons who kill their father-Russians are all the way whack jobs and sport a population with more magical realists “the dead continue to move amongst us so why not talk to them and set a place for dinner” than any other country on earth.
I have always remembered one brother K who said any god that would allow harm to come to a child is no god to him and the fact that harm did come to some children with proof there was no god.
Last week in downstate Delaware there were two horrible accidents and five innocent children under five years old lost their lives four in a totally combusted Ford Explorer.
The spiritual people will step to the front to comfort survivors and do a good job of it and compassionate friends and community also help. I certainly hope people in close have the deepest faith which assumes there is rhyme and reason to suffering and that they find the strength to endure another day another week
Truthfully I prefer to reflect on the first cow which really is my cousin or aunt than to search for any explanation of why horrific things sometimes happen to children.
I am baffled!
Brother Freddogg

Comments:
This brought tears to my eyes. They say we just have to trust in the Lord, but some days it is really hard to do that.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?