Sunday, May 17, 2009

 

Biggie Smalls




I know hundreds of former athletes across an age span that makes some of them grandparents and others not old enough to vote. I knew them all at their high performance no body fat svelte selves. They know me as a coach “who’s got jokes.”
And so they roll in front of me many twice as big and I simply say hello and they wait, wait for the joke but honestly I don’t do weight jokes because those who have lost it know who they are and cruelty from a positive memory icon of your previous life is just so unwarranted.
I was heading to the track last week to take a team picture when a Wellness Center counselor rolled up on me and said,”You look like Santa Clause with a camera.” The guy is a great guy and wasn’t trying to be mean and I remembered Joe Frazier commenting on Ali calling him a Gorilla and saying “I know what a gorilla looks like and I don’t look like that.” If Joe said that to me face to face I would be careful not to smirk but Santa Clause with a Camera? Why that image” Say, what are you trying to say?
‘Fredman tell them that this fat girl was a conference champion sprinter. Tell them this blimp from the blocks could bust a 200 meter dash like a greyhound on a fake rabbit. Tell them coach cause my sons need to know their mom didn’t parachute to earth a fat girl. They need to hear it from you.”
“You mom has the state record in the 100 and 200 while running in a dress,” I told them. “Now that got their attention and it is true and they wanted to know, “You ran in a dress?”
‘It was a religious thing back then but now there are body suits where the young athletes look beautiful=poetry in motion=but if that fashion gains broad based popularity and are sold in Wall mart it is going to get ugly.

Comments:
what santa ? No santa in destiny-url.blogspot.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?