Sunday, November 15, 2009

 

Artillery Battery




I was waiting at the Sam’s Club tire center counter for miss Big Hair and her head of multiple piercings to return to my ‘I’ve just got a couple of questions for you self” just please stopping counting them on your fingers.
And while I was waiting an older man, slightly bent over, touched my arm, smiled and said, “there you are I think you’re the guy who can tell me if I need a new battery.”
“You mean cold cranking amps and shit like that? I am definitely not your man. Just because I’m wearing a black shirt with white logo doesn’t mean I’m the tire guy although I am flattered if you think I can change four tires in less than four days.”
So we both waited and somehow he got in front of me and we did a history of tires banter and at one time he mentioned Baldies and during the war. I ask him what war he had been in and he said ‘Two” and I consider saying “thanks for your service” but real guys don’t talk to each other like that so I responded honestly “Holy shit man! That was the real deal. Where were you?”
He mentioned Guadalcanal and the Philippines and I was like ‘Yikes’ that’s heavy duty and he responded “yes but don’t get the wrong idea. I was attached to an artillery unit and drove a jeep. The seat belts back then could cut you in half. He told me “we were young and dumb. We were told to do something and we did it. I don’t recognize this volunteer army. We are sending 40 year old guys into stuff and they’re just too smart. You can have an army that thinks about much of anything other than following orders."
The United States recognized Philippines Independence on July 4 1946 and my Tire Center buddy was there. I was wondering how you recognize the Independence of a Sovereign nation then start building airports for your planes and stay another 50 years?
My Buddy drove a 2003 Dodge Caravan and his battery cost $79 dollars and it would take an hour and twenty minutes if he cared to wait in the food court area with a bunch or morons eating fat pizza slices from the wrong end.
I blew the opportunity and should have bought the battery for him just thanks 63 years past due.
That’s why ‘thanks for your service’ are bullshit empty words, these craggy old bent over Dodge drivers should have an “Uncle Sam’s Club” card and if your in line behind one you should be handed the check and be happy about it.
Freaking Guadalcanal ---are you kidding me?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?